I am often asked about the process of writing and publishing books. “What have you learnt about the publishing process?” people always ask.
I’ll split my comments between the ‘before’, ‘during’ and ‘after’ stages of the publishing process.
– Starting to write a book helps you to get all of your thoughts in order
– The book writing process helps you simplify your message and focus on key points
– The submission of a book proposal makes you write a “business plan” identifying your target audience, their needs and how you can help them
– The mere process of committing to write a book, shows you that you are serious about your trade as a communicator of your own ideas.
– Writing makes you realise exactly how much of your material is your own as opposed to “borrowed” from other sources
– Writing is a discipline that helps you understand how your ideas fit together and how they can help your audience
– Just like teaching someone how to drive, writing a book makes you slow down and see your material from the audience’s point of view.
– The real work starts when the book is published
– A book without an audience reminds me of the question “If you clap in the jungle and there is no-one there to hear the clap, did the clap ever exist?”
– It’s only when you get feedback from people you don’t know at all, that you can start to understand how your ideas help others
– When it comes to marketing your books, it’s up to you to go the extra mile.
So that’s it really. I’m a writer at heart, it’s a way to get everything out of my head and if people are willing to read what I publish, that’s a bonus!
I read every day, I write everyday… I suggest that you do the same. And if you want any tips on writing your first/next book, I’d love to hear from you!
About the Author:
Robert Craven (@robert_craven)is an international Keynote business speaker, author, consultant and owner of The Directors’ Centre, a consulting and training company which helps owner-directors run the business they want to run.
His latest book Grow Your Digital Agency, which provides the business fundamentals that every growing agency needs to address,is now available. Check out his other titles here.